Tuesday 15 December 2009

Knees Up Mother Brown!

p>Lately I have been starting to feel my age. And although I may only be 21 and I have (fingers crossed) many more years ahead than I have behind, I have nevertheless been feeling the first burns of nostalgia. It started with the faint memory of my first phone (Nokia 3210) and the fact I only asked for it so I could play my ringtones to my friend on the school bus and get the top score for snake in the lunch break tournaments. Then I borrowed season 1&2 of Ally Mcbeal from my friend Pippa. And finally the main theme of Gretel's birthday party ended up becoming an in bed, youtube, love fest at everything and anything 90's (mainly clips from kids TV shows) avec really good cake and odd european spirits.

So, behold a list of programmes I demand to be put back on T.V.:

Recess, Finders Keepers, TOTPS, Moesha, City Guys, Dawson's Creek,The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Clarissa Explains It All, Kenan & Kel, The Big Breakfast, Heartbreak High, Light Lunch with Mel & Sue, Biker Mice from Mars, Daria, Ren & Stimpy, Dexter's Laboratory, Bad Girls, Xena: Warrior Princess, Hey! Arnold, Johnny Bravo, Are you afraid of the dark?, Cold Feet, The Poddington Peas, Inspector Gadget, Penny Crayon, The Angry Beavers, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, SMTV Live, Wizzadora, Live & Kicking, Saved by the Bell, Sister Sister...

Could this be the greatest opening theme tune of all time?







Most of all can I have 'My So Called Life' back, the first show I actively remember skipping school for because I thought it was the manual to being a teenager:







(...I am still waiting for my boiler room babe, do english schools even have boiler rooms?)

And what about TY babies and tamagotchis? Surely they still have a place in the world post millennium? And forget Ipods I want my 'Power Rangers' lunch box back!

The best thing about the impending 'tenties' (are we really going to have to call this decade that?) for me is going to be the 3rd season of 'True Blood' and continuing to follow Cesar Millan on twitter ("One of the most important things I want to get across is that dogs are dogs—not humans!" - so wise). Those things aside with the ever growing array of satellite T.V. stations, including a channel I recently came across that seemed to be committed to only showing 80's film remakes of american 'true story' specials (a la my husband left me for my best friend, I became an alcoholic, they took my children off me but then I fell in love with a horse took it to the races and now I am rich! ) I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be one committed to showing nineties children/teen reruns. Give the people what they want!

P.s. I would like to give a big shout out to whoever in the english language invented the brackets - they seem to be new favorite means of punctuation.