Monday 2 November 2009

25 Things From a 21 Year Old:

The whole "25 things" schtick was a massive hit on facebook and I fought the urge to be dragged into what i felt was an ego trip of pointless dribble that would only interest the person writing it... Until now.

I could sit here and reel off useless facts like whenever I walk over a bridge I have an urge to spit off it, that I don't remember falling asleep in the last 3 months even though I know it's impossible to have not, that i fantasize writing "EXIT" on every door I pass through incase I can't find a way out or that I once had such an all consuming hatred for my nan's pet budgee that I contemplated pouring a hot cup of coffee on it... but that's almost all I would be able to come up with.

So alternatively I'm going to write something more substantial and list 25 things I am in a position to be grateful/appreciative of in my current state of mind:

  1. That no matter how unlucky I feel I am in any of my small undertakings, my life is always full of opportunity.
  2. That you can get 4 cartons of juice for £3 in TESCO and 2 sticks of lipsalve in Boots for £1.70!
  3. Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar"
  4. That there are songs that remind me of every relationship in my life no matter how fleeting.
  5. The fact Lily Allen came back this year with a nice haircut and a newfound hatred of shirts.
    Case in Point:
  6. The fact that I heard a 40 year old man nickname his friend 'beardmobile' on the street.
  7. Yoko Ono:
    "In a day, sometimes I feel so much love for the world, I think
    my heart is bursting. Sometimes, I feel so scared, I want to
    shrink myself even further. I think that’s what happened to us gods
    and goddesses. Like the dinosaurs, we realized that it’s too dangerous
    to be so large. So we kept shrinking ourselves to what we are now."
  8. That I will always think I need to avoid getting close to people but I know I'll never really be alone/lonely.
  9. The "Genius" option on itunes.
  10. The realization that only I have the power to determine if I am happy or unhappy, and for how long for.
  11. That I can put my head next to any window, listen to music and imagine I'm floating above and outside my body for hours.
  12. The people I've met and the books I've read. Even the bad ones.
  13. The way my housemate can avoid drama at all costs, and even though he has alot he could complain about, he won't.
  14. Appreciating this but also wishing I came up with the idea first: http://web.arch.usyd.edu.au/~andrew/infostudio_2006/works/SOO_2.pdf
  15. The fact that twitter makes me feel like I'm intimate friends with the stars.
  16. That I met a person who ate only jam sandwiches for a year, and now I know I might have to say goodbye to that person. But that possible eventuality seems OK knowing that I will remember facts like that instead of the ones that could distort them if I stay.
  17. True Romance - "I kept asking Clarence why our world seemed to be collapsing and things seemed to be getting so shitty. And he'd say, "that's the way it goes, but don't forget, it goes the other way too." That's the way romance is... Usually, that's the way it goes, but every once in awhile, it goes the other way too."
  18. The sky is blue.
  19. Relating to Paul Rudd's awkward social skills in "I Love You, Man".
  20. This Photograph:

  21. That everything changes tomorrow. That I'll always have tomorrow.
  22. When everything else seems unwearable/unwashed I can always rely on the fact that there will be clean socks in a box on top of my wardrobe.
  23. That the real beauty in life is that we are all collectively wandering where we like, and when we want. For no reason at all, I love that.
  24. Someone once told me that if you can count on 5 fingers or more the people you could go to in a crisis and that would help you without expectation then you can count yourself lucky. I count myself lucky.
  25. I secretly know as neurotic as I can trick myself into being, there is nothing I don't love about my life.